Tuesday, February 14, 2012

More things I just don't understand

I'm not even going to try to figure out the insanity of what is going through some people's minds these days. Seriously.

I know I've cried wolf about going stark raving insane before, but so help me, it really is going to happen by February 29. Dad gum leap year. If it had been any other year, I would only have 10 more work days before unemployment. Who has a countdown to unemployment? That would be me. As I said last night, if you can help it, never work until the end of the month in a job that you were fired from.

So, today, co-worker #1, the only non-Presidential employee left after the boom (because the President and 2 VPs remain), says via instant message to me: "We can go to OMI on Thursday."

"I'm not spending money eating out."

"Ok, well, my treat."

"Thanks, but I'm going to have to pass."

"I knew you weren't going to want to be my friend anymore. :("

You know what, immature as it may be, I'm going to go with yes. Yes, I'm not going to be your friend anymore. Here's the thing. I really don't mean it in a slap-to-her-as-person-way, but I would not be friends with this person outside of work in the first place because we really just don't have much in common and we just wouldn't. Come March 1, I really have no reason to socialize with her.

Right now, in the situation that I am in, I'm paranoid. The thing that rubbed me most wrong during the Donald Trump speech on Friday was it was pointed out to me that perspective employers look at Facebook and Twitter. (REALLY??? I had no clue!!!) And he threw in that so do previous employers. Well, first of all, I'm smart enough to make sure that I don't say anything that can be seen. This blog is not searchable online and only people I give the link to can find it or know it's tied to me. They sure don't see it. It feeds no where. I can say what I want here. However, no where else am I going to be saying anything other than "know of any jobs? I need a job." If I didn't think it would bring up something to make the next 15 days even more uncomfortable, I know four people that I would de-friend on Facebook immediately. Would have done it at 3:30 this past Friday, in fact.

At the office, co-worker #2 and I, the two that got downsized out of the job, are the lepers no one wants to associate with. It's nuts. It's uncomfortable. I don't really think that having lunch with #1 is going to be comfortable. In fact, let me back this story up a little more. The instant message chain started before the lunch comment.

I read an email that had me just think "wow." So, I posted "wow." as my Facebook status. Like a literal minute later, I get an IM from #1 that says, "Wow what?"

"Wow are you my Facebook stalker?" I ask.

"No, it just came up when I moved my feed window. lol" (She loves the lol.)

"Would rather not expand on the wow."

"You would have used to expanded with me."

Perhaps I would have, but... then goes the previous string of messages. I answered her that I was paranoid right now and while she didn't understand it, she needed to just accept that right now. I have reasons to not trust some things right now.

So, back in the leper colony that is downstairs at the office, when the boss has left the past two days, that has been the only attempts made at speaking to the outcasts. It feels like I've done something wrong.

Yesterday, she says, "if you want that information on the proposal for the city tourism, let me know." This is a supposed work possibility to make a proposal to a board that she is on. It could possibly be a pride thing, but I just don't want to come up with a proposal that would require her approval.

Today, as she leaves, she sheepishly says, "so VP says that you had a job interview or something." The only reason VP #1 knows this is that I apologized for coming into the office late to go fill out an application that had to be in yesterday.

"I filled out an application." I refuse to, or quite possibly can't, make eye contact.

"Oh. Where at?"

"Oh, just at XXXXXXXX. They had an opening and it's just something for now."

"Oh. At least some place as openings." She says this in a tone that almost sounds disappointed. I don't understand this at all. I mean, you told me I didn't have a job after the end of the month. VP #2 acts like he's ready for us to be off the premise even though he said they wanted/needed us to stay until the end of the month. Yes, I'm looking for a new job. Yes, I started looking right away. What do you expect of me? Is this an attempt to ease a guilty conscience or something?

Here's news for her. I've been looking for three years! Not really steadily the whole time, but still. Since Friday, I've applied for numerous things on Monster, filled out an application, picked up three more that I need to fill out and take back, have a lead on another one, and have a phone call with a competing PR company around lunch tomorrow. And if McDonald's would hire me tomorrow, I wouldn't stick around until February 29 because I'm tired of the baloney I've put up with for the past 10 years.

Oh, and I'm ready to barter with a counseling organization -- counseling appointments for publicity work because I really need it right now.

Now that I have vented all of that, maybe I'll feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment