By 8:30 this morning, I had three things that I found funny, and at that rate, it may have become the funniest day ever at work. It wasn't a bad day, but the funny rate slowed considerably by 8:45.
First of all, I came in to a message. But I have to give you some background first. Back after 9/11, we worked with Lisa Beamer on her book Let's Roll! Her husband was on the flight that went down in Pennsylvania and is credited with the saying "let's roll" when the passengers went to over take the hijackers.
Since that time, as her publicity agency and Tina being her book agent, we get people trying to reach her wanting to know what is going on with her, pass along a personal message, etc. It's really a scary look at how some people get obsessed on one side while others have to work really hard to maintain a private life on the other.
As for the message, I'm not sure how this call was directed to me, but sometimes I can't figure out how I can other calls either. Anyway, this woman starts out by giving her name, her "postal box" and goes on to explain she has this note she wants to send to Lisa and had read the "5 year commemorative edition of Let's Roll." She wanted to know how Lisa was doing. How her kids are doing. The way she talks and pauses is odd. Very odd.
She adds that her husband left her 30 years ago when she was 8 months pregnant and she has only been interested in two men since. But, she thinks things are finally smoothing out now? WHAT? Now, I don't make light of the fact that it takes a long time to get past your husband leaving you while pregnant, but what this has to do with Lisa, I'm not quite sure. I guess because Lisa was expecting a child when her husband died, but the whole, "I've only been interested in two men since" part? That's peculiar. Why would you tell a stranger that on a phone message?
After telling Tracy about this, we have reason to believe that a former radio host may have pulled a prank on me after having emailed me yesterday. The way he over-did the denial of it when I asked him about it leads us to think it may have been him. The fact that I searched and the city and zip that she gave me match makes me wonder if it may not have been legit. I'm not sure. But after listening to the message a second time, it did sound a bit scripted, and I thought I heard a couple of snickers. It was just a little too coincidental considering one of this host's obsessions.
Laugh #2: An author emailed me to let me know that he did an interview with Christian Home and School magazine. Actually, could be very good for his upcoming book. But this guy is hilarious and adds that this interview is huge because the magazine has TENS of readers.
Maybe that is not all that funny to you, but it was funny to us in the context of our work.
Laugh #3: Another author emailed that he had an interview with an "interesting" host. To hear that word more than once about a host makes us question. Anyway, this author has written a number of well known worship songs. One most everyone has heard of. So, the host asks the author to recite the lyrics to this song.
The author admits to me that he only made it through two lines before he drew a blank. A fog due to the fact that his interview was at 6:15 west coast time. The host took over by reading more of the song out of the book, but he had it all messed up. I just couldn't believe he went blank after two lines of his own song and then emailed me to tell me.
So Mimi, maybe all this wasn't too funny, but all of us at the office got a big kick out of it. If you want to read something funnier, Seriously? is probably funnier tonight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Totally aside from this morning, I have something else to share that I found funny. It's probably not funny to anyone else except for me. Seeing as part of the reason I had to start this blog is so that I could share funny stories that included my grandmother, I'm including this.
My grandmother is a bit weight obsessed. Meaning the weight of others mainly. I've been fat my whole life. I realize this. One time she told me, "I know how you feel now." "About what?" "Well, I watched this Dateline episode about an overweight nurse, and..." "HUH?"
This is the grandmother that wanted to set me up with one of my friends brothers because we were both heavy. Not that she has ever been skinny within my memory. Around a size 18+. She told my mom this weekend that she saw my cousin Rachel, and she looked shorter because she must have put on some weight.
What she didn't tell my mom, what my aunt did, was that Grandmother was mad because one of her doctors sent information to another doctor saying that she was obese (as is most of America). It really made her mad. I asked Mom, "can I laugh?" "Susan and I did."
I know that is tacky of me, but all I am saying is that maybe, just maybe, she'll think twice next time before she makes such comments.
1)I've never had a blog post dedicated to me, so I humbly thank you!
ReplyDelete2)I laughed out loud at all 3 laughable moments, before I read that you might not think anyone else would find them funny. Then I wondered, am I the only other person outside of your office that would find that funny? I'd sway we are in good company. :)
3)My 90 yr old grandma is other-people weight obsessed and it's been passed on to my mom. They've gone back and forth about their comparative weights for years. Grandma is forever mentioning how she's so much smaller than my mom. Of course my mom gets frustrated because she's gained weight since she had my brother in her early 40's. Well, she's nearing her mid 60's, I think some weight gain is to be expected.
Well, 2 Christmas' ago we all sat down to dinner and gee, somehow weight was brought up. My mom looks at me and either asked me what my weight was and what size clothes I wear. Well, she must've had waaaay too much turkey n stuffing because there was NOOOO way on God's green earth they were going to pull me into their looniness! I ignored her question and pointedly changed the subject.
Thank you Audra for my special blog post! You're a peach!
~Mimi