Friday, December 4, 2009

Will that be the end of it?

I survived part one, which will hopefully be the only part of a discussion on when I am going to get my Christmas trees from my parents house. It was very calm and peaceful, thankfully.

After going out to eat with my parents, we dropped by my house so that I could get my old digital camera for them to take to Granbury when they go with the girls tomorrow. On the way back over to their house to get my car, I guess Dad saw someone's Christmas lights to bring up the conversation I had been sort of dreading ever since I made the statement, "I'm not putting up my own Christmas tree this year, much less putting up Grandmother's for her." To which my dad said, "yes you are."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes you are, even if I have to put it up for you." (Yeah, right, like that's going to happen...)

The conversation ended there. I really expected the subject to arise again before now. Like when I had walked through their garage passed the boxes while Dad was untangling some lights for his front yard.

So, going down the street tonight, "when are you going to get your trees?"

"I'm not."

"I want you to put up your tree."

"I don't want to."

Big pause.

"You're not going to even get one of your little ones?"

"No, I don't want it."

And it ended. Surprisingly. We were both very calm for us. That's not to say that is the end of the conversation for all time. Mom may have told him before to leave well enough alone.

I don't want to get into it with them as to why I don't want to put out one single Christmas decoration in my house.

Christmas is three weeks away. It will be here so quickly. I have to come up with some gift ideas. I'm not going to stiff everyone just because I lack the holiday spirit. I just have to finish ordering Paige's from B&N. I could figure out for Peyton easier if I didn't have to figure out for Madison. I'll figure something for Layton. Brian and Julie? Oh, good grief, I don't know. Mom will be easy enough. Dad... hmm...

Tuesday is my last day off that I needed to take by the end of the year, so I'm going shopping along with something else that I'm sort of dreading and sort of looking forward to. I better come home with something, or I'm going to be in trouble.

1 comment:

  1. The "Yes you are, even if I have to do it for you" line cracked me up.
    Maybe he can just bring you a small predecorated tree if it means so much to him.

    ReplyDelete